Specialist Teaching Space in the Woods
The Chalet building is an imported Swiss Chalet originally used as a hunting lodge in Wytham Woods and were conveyed to the University in 1943, together with approximately 1000 acres of land.
The works enabled the University to provide facilities which are fit for purpose for the researchers, and also to expand the awareness, opportunities and use of The Chalet across the wider University.
The project has brought the property into a good state of repair and adapted the facilities to better suit the end user requirements. Improved facilities will allow them to conduct their research and seminars, and also allow sleeping and resting as the need arises.
The proposed work also allow accessibility to The Chalet and actively encourage and promote the use of its facilities across the university.
The Chalet will be the hub of research and outreach provision within the Woods providing facilities which are essential for academic purposes and the research undertaken at Wytham Woods.
- The Chalet will become the hub of research and outreach provision
- Incorporates a self-contained flat to allow a permanent on-site presence
- The new design improves access for users with reduced mobility
- Brings the building standards up to current regulatory requirements
- Upgrades of building fabric insulation, energy efficiency, fire and security standards