New Pre-prep School in Summertown
A new extension was added to the side of the existing historic building Newton Lodge, previously a boarding house for Summer Fields Preparatory School, to create a new Pre-Prep school for children ages 4-7.
The extension was designed to contrast and complement the existing building, using the classical geometry and high ceilings seen in the Victorian building. Copper rainscreen cladding was chosen for the extension to create a clean modern look which will oxidise and change as the building ages.
To the front of the building is a drop-off zone for the children, creating a one-way access to and from Mayfield Road with separate pedestrian access. The garden of Newton Lodge has been transformed into a playground comprising a range of equipment to suit the age range. Extensive external works were done to the main school grounds to incorporate the new school and to provide formalised parking areas.
- New extension and stairs to existing building
- Existing building fully refurbished creating new classrooms and flexible teaching spaces
- Extension clad in copper composite panels to contrast with existing traditional building
- Access to secure garden spaces directly from Reception and Year 1 classrooms
- All weather playground with extensive facilities
- New vehicle access route, drop off and parking areas to remove parents vehicles from the street